- Target muscles: Hamstrings (Biceps Femoris, Semimembranosus, Semitendinosus)
- Synergists: Gastrocnemius, Gracilis, Sartorius, Popliteus
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Pull
- Sit in the leg curl machine.
- Place the backs of your lower legs on top of the padded lever.
- Lower the thigh support so that it rests just above your knees (missing from illustration; see video).
- Hold the handles for support.
- Exhale as you flex your knees and curl the lever all the way to the back of your thighs.
- Hold for a count of two and squeeze your hamstrings.
- Inhale as you return the lever to the starting position.
Comments and tips
- Keep the movement slow and controlled.
- Try to resist the rising of the lever.
- Keep your back pressed firmly against the back support.
- Adjust the back support and lever for comfort and optimal leverage.
- Always keep your ankles flexed (toes pointing toward your shins) when performing the seated leg curl. This allows your gastrocnemii to offer better assistance to your hamstrings.
- See also kneeling leg curl and lying leg curl.
Seated leg curl video