- Target muscle: Sternal (Lower) Pectoralis Major
- Synergists: Clavicular (Upper) Pectoralis Major, Anterior Deltoid, Triceps Brachii
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Push
- Stand between two shoulder-height pulleys, facing away.
- Grasp a stirrup (handle) in each hand, step forward, and stand with a staggered stance.
- Position the stirrups to the sides of your chest.
- Raise your elbows so that they are out to the sides (though not so high as to be horizontal).
- Keeping your body upright and arms horizontal, exhale as you press the stirrups forward and inward until your arms are straight and shoulders are stretched forward.
- Hold for a count of two and squeeze your chest.
- Inhale as you reverse the motion until you feel a mild stretch in your chest.
Comments and tips
- To keep the tension on your lower chest, keep your body upright and your arms at the level of your chest.
- Ideally, the pulleys should be closer together than in a cable cross-over setup.
- Alternate between performing the standing cable chest press bilaterally and unilaterally to get the benefits of both variations.
- The standing cable chest press is great for improving your balance, coordination, and upper-body strength.
Standing cable chest press video