- Target muscle: Triceps brachii
- Synergists: None
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Push
- Attach a stirrup (handle) to a cable pulley that is a little lower than chest high.
- Grasp the stirrup with one hand and press it up, over your head.
- Turn away from the pulley, lean a little forward, stagger your feet for balance, and lower your hand behind your back.
- Your elbow should be raised high, the cable should be pulled taut, and you should be feeling a stretch in your triceps brachii.
- Keeping your elbow close to your head, exhale as you raise the stirrup over your head by extending your elbow.
- Inhale as you flex your elbow to lower the stirrup towards the starting position until you feel a mild stretch in your triceps brachii.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Repeat the exercise with your opposite arm.
Comments and tips
- Keep your elbow close to your head.
- Keep your body and upper arm still. Only your forearm should move.
- You can use either a pronated or supinated grip.
Standing overhead cable triceps extension video