- Target muscles: Erector Spinae, Hamstrings, Internal and External Obliques
- Synergists: Gluteus Maximus, Adductor Magnus
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Pull
- Stand in the hyperextension bench with your legs hooked securely under the foot brace and the front padding resting below your hips to allow your hips room to move.
- Position your hands lightly behind your head or cross them over your chest.
- Inhale as you lower your torso by flexing your hips and your waist.
- Exhale as you raise your torso by extending your hips and your waist. As you rise, slowly twist your torso to one side.
- Repeat the lowering and raising of your torso, making sure to alternate the side to which you twist.
Comments and tips
- Keep your neck neutral.
- Never hyperextend your back.
- Do not twist your torso beyond feeling a mild stretch in your side.
- Make the twisting hyperextension more difficult by holding a weight plate either across your chest or behind your neck. You can also just raise your arms over your head.
Twisting hyperextension video