- Target muscle: Triceps brachii
- Synergists: None
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Push
- Holding a loaded Olympic triceps bar, sit on a bench or chair, preferably with back support.
- Press the Olympic triceps bar overhead.
- Keeping your elbows close to your head and pointing up towards the ceiling, inhale as you lower the Olympic triceps bar behind your head by bending at the elbows.
- Exhale as your reverse the motion to return to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Comments and tips
- The seated Olympic triceps bar overhead triceps extension allows you to use a neutral grip, which may be more comfortable compared to overhand or underhand grips.
- To help isolate your triceps brachii muscle, make sure to keep your elbows close to your head and that only your forearms are moving.
- The upper arms should be vertical throughout the exercise.
- For your safety, do not lift the loaded Olympics triceps bar directly over your head. Slightly tilt your head forward so that you can raise and lower the weight behind your head.
- The seated Olympic triceps bar overhead triceps extension is one of many exercises focused on triceps extension. See also the seated overhead EZ bar triceps extension, seated dumbbell overhead triceps extension and the standing overhead barbell triceps extension.
Seated Olympics triceps bar overhead triceps extension video
ExRx.net, Elbow Articulations