- Target muscle: Triceps brachii
- Synergists: None
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Push
- Stand holding a dumbbell in one hand using a neutral grip.
- Lift the dumbbell up over your head and slightly back, with your elbow bent and pointed up towards the ceiling.
- Exhale while pushing the dumbbell upwards until your arm is extended. Keep your elbow close to your head and the dumbbell behind your head.
- Inhale as you lower the dumbbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Repeat with the opposite arm.
Comments and tips
- Only your forearm should move. Keep your torso and upper arm still.
- Keep your elbow close to your head so that your triceps brachii muscle is emphasized.
- If you find that you have to move your elbow out to the side or away from your head to raise the dumbbell, the dumbbell is too heavy. Switch to a lighter weight.
- For your safety, do not raise the dumbbells directly over your head. Keep the dumbbell behind your head even when your elbows are extended to avoid any injuries.
- See also the standing overhead one-arm cable triceps extension and seated two-arm overhead dumbbell triceps extension video.
Standing one-arm overhead dumbbell triceps extension video
ExRx.net, Elbow Articulations