Skip to content
- Target muscle: Gluteus Maximus
- Synergists: Adductor Magnus, Quadriceps
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Push
- Place a bench under the Smith machine bar. (You can also just use a mat. See the second video.)
- Set the safety pins of the Smith machine at a safe height to prevent the bar from crashing down onto your legs.
- Unlatch the bar from the rail by rotating it and bring it down onto the safety pins.
- Leave the bar unlatched from the rail so that it can freely move up and down.
- Get on your hands and knees on the bench and place the arch of one foot under the center of the bar.
- Exhale as you push the bar upward by fully extending your hip and knee.
- Hold for a count of two and squeeze your gluteus maximus.
- Inhale as you lower the bar to the starting position. Do not allow the bar to make contact with the safety pins.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Repeat the repetitions with your opposite leg.
Comments and tips
- Make sure that your leg is directly under the bar and that you push it directly upward.
- You can also do the rear kick using a lying leg curl machine. See the third video.
- The Smith machine kneeling rear kick is also known as the Smith machine kickback and Smith machine donkey kick.
Smith machine kneeling rear kick using a bench
Smith machine kneeling rear kick using a mat
Kneeling rear kick using a lying leg curl machine