- Target muscle: Triceps Brachii
- Synergists: None
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Push
- Grasp the stirrup (handle) of a high pulley using a supinated (underhand) grip.
- Kneel under the pulley on the knee that is on the opposite side of your loaded arm.
- Brace your loaded arm against the inside of your thigh.
- Place your free hand on your hip or thigh for support.
- Exhale as you extend the elbow of your loaded arm until it is straight.
- Hold for a count of two and squeeze your triceps.
- Inhale as you flex your elbow back into the starting position.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Repeat the exercise with your opposite arm.
Comments and tips
- Keep your back straight and your upper arm fixed against the inside of your thigh.
- Do not allow your elbow to pivot on top of your thigh. Rest it below the top of your thigh.
- Make sure that you kneel in such a place and position as to ensure optimal resistance throughout the exercise’s full range of motion.
- The cable concentration triceps extension is a unilateral exercise (i.e. an exercise with which you train one side of your body at a time). As with all unilateral exercises, start with your weak side. To promote equal strength in both sides, do not perform more repetitions with your strong side.
Cable concentration triceps extension video
(The only almost decent cable concentration triceps extension video I could find!)