Cable concentration triceps extension
- Target muscle: Triceps Brachii
- Synergists: None
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Push
- Grasp the stirrup (handle) of a high pulley using a supinated (underhand) grip.
- Kneel under the pulley on the knee that is on the opposite side of your loaded arm.
- Brace your loaded arm against the inside of your thigh.
- Place your free hand on your hip or thigh for support.
- Exhale as you extend the elbow of your loaded arm until it is straight.
- Hold for a count of two and squeeze your triceps.
- Inhale as you flex your elbow back into the starting position.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Repeat the exercise with your opposite arm.
Comments and tips
- Keep your back straight and your upper arm fixed against the inside of your thigh.
- Do not allow your elbow to pivot on top of your thigh. Rest it below the top of your thigh.
- Make sure that you kneel in such a place and position as to ensure optimal resistance throughout the exercise’s full range of motion.
- The cable concentration triceps extension is a unilateral exercise (i.e. an exercise with which you train one side of your body at a time). As with all unilateral exercises, start with your weak side. To promote equal strength in both sides, do not perform more repetitions with your strong side.
- See also the incline cable triceps extension and the seated overhead EZ bar triceps extension.
Cable concentration triceps extension video
(The only almost decent cable concentration triceps extension video I could find!)