Skip to content
- Target muscle: None; the hip abductors in general. See synergists
- Synergists: Gluteus Medius, Gluteus Minimus, Gluteus Maximus, Piriformis, Obturator Externus
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Push
- Sit in the seated hip abduction machine with your legs inside of the pads.
- Pull the side lever to allow your legs to come together.
- Release the side lever to lock your legs into position.
- Lie back and grasp the handles at your sides.
- Exhale as you push against the pads with your knees until your hips are fully abducted.
- Hold for a count of two.
- Inhale as you reverse the movement and return your legs to the starting position.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
Comments and tips
- To emphasize the activation of your gluteus maximus, sit upright or even lean forward a little. To emphasize the activation of your gluteus medius, sit back.
- Do not allow the weight plates to come crashing down as you reverse the movement; keep the weight plates suspended.
- The machine seated hip abduction is essential for anyone who wants to develop their glutes. Other exercises that are important/great for glute development include the barbell hip thrust, barbell sumo squat, barbell Romanian deadlift, and the dumbbell forward-leaning lunge.
Machine seated hip abduction video