Skip to content
- Target muscle: Triceps Brachii
- Synergists: None
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Push
- Sit on a bench or a chair with back support holding a barbell using a narrow pronated (overhand) grip.
- Press the barbell over your head.
- Keeping your elbows close to your head, exhale as you bend your elbows and lower the barbell behind your head in a semicircular motion.
- Inhale as you reverse the motion and push the barbell back overhead.
Comments and tips
- Keep your elbows tucked in close to your head.
- Keep your body still and back straight. Only your forearms should move.
- Do not lock out your elbows.
- Using an EZ bar may be easier on your wrists.
- You can perform the overhead barbell triceps extension while standing (see video).
- See also the seated two-arm overhead dumbbell triceps extension and the barbell skull crusher.
Overhead barbell triceps extension video