Skip to content
- Target muscles: Quadriceps (Vastus Lateralis, Vastus Medialis, Vastus Intermedius, Rectus Femoris)
- Synergists: Gluteus Maximus, Adductor Magnus
- Dynamic stabilizers: Hamstrings
- Important stabilizers: Anterior Deltoid, Lateral Deltoid, Upper Pectoralis Major
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Push
- Place your feet under the lower padded bar of the sissy squat bench. Your calves should be against the upper pads.
- Hold a dumbbell against your chest with both arms.
- Keeping your chest high, inhale as you flex your hips and knees to lower your body until the back of your thighs reach the upper pads.
- Exhale as you stand back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
Comments and tips
- Although the dumbbell machine sissy squat focuses on your quadriceps, it also helps strengthen your glutes and hamstrings.
- When standing, do not allow your torso to angle forward. Your shoulders should be behind your hips.
- For your safety, practice the machine sissy squat without weights first to master the movement.
- Make sure that you control your descent as you squat down.
- Adjust the upper pad so that it is not too high nor too low. If the upper pad is too high, it will obstruct your range of motion. If it is too low, support will feel inadequate.
- Also known as the dumbbell bench sissy squat.
- For other exercises that target the quadriceps, see the leg extension, the weighted sissy squat, and the dumbbell box squat.
Dumbbell machine sissy squat video