- Target muscles: Wrist Flexors
- Synergists: None
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Pull
- Grasping a dumbbell in each hand, kneel beside a flat bench and rest your forearms on the bench, with your palms facing upward.
- Let your wrists hang off the edge of the bench.
- Open your hands a little and allow the dumbbells to roll down into your fingertips.
- Exhale as you close your hands and curl the dumbbells upward as much as you can.
- Hold for a count of two.
- Inhale as you reverse the movement, slowly lowering the dumbbells and allowing them to roll back down into your fingertips.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Comments and tips
- The dumbbell wrist curl over bench is used for strengthening grip and building forearms.
- To prevent wrist injury, do not lift very heavy dumbbells. Your wrists are not meant to lift very heavy weights.
- The dumbbell farmer’s walk and one-arm dead hang are exercises that improve grip strength but are safer on your wrists.
- Improving your grip strength can enhance your performance in exercises for which grip strength is necessary, such as the barbell deadlift.
- See also the seated barbell wrist curl.
Dumbbell wrist curl over bench video
ExRx.net, Wrist Articulations