Skip to content
- Target muscles: Hamstrings, Internal and External Obliques
- Synergists: Gluteus Maximus, Adductor Magnus
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Pull
- Stand in the hyperextension bench with your thighs resting on the front pad. The pad must be below your hips so that your hips are free to move.
- Cross your hands over your chest, or position them behind your head.
- Keeping your back and neck neutral, inhale as you lower your torso by flexing your hips.
- Exhale as you raise your torso by extending your hips. As you rise, slowly twist your torso to one side.
- Keep flexing and extending your hips, making sure to alternate the side to which you twist your torso as you rise.
Comments and tips
- Keep your back and neck neutral.
- Do not twist your torso beyond feeling a mild stretch in your side.
- To make the twisting hip extension exercise more difficult, hold a weight plate either across your chest or behind your neck. You can also just raise your arms over your head.
- See also the twisting hyperextension, which is almost the same exercise except you flex/extend your hips and your waist.
- For exercises similarly targeting the hamstrings, see the lying single straight-leg hip extension and the kneeling cable hip extension (as synergist).
Twisting hip extension video