- Target muscle: Triceps Brachii
- Synergists: None
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Push
- Position a bench close to a low cable pulley, with the head of the bench nearest to the pulley.
- Lie on your back (supine) on the bench.
- Grasp the bar with a shoulder-width pronated (overhand) grip.
- Press the bar upward until your arms are fully extended and hold the bar over your forehead so that your arms are slightly slanted backwards.
- Keeping your elbows in, inhale as you flex your elbows and lower the bar to your forehead.
- Exhale as you extend your elbows to raise the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
Comments and tips
- Keeping your elbows in will prevent the involvement of your pectorals and anterior deltoids and keep the emphasis on your triceps brachii.
- Ensure that the cable is taut throughout the repetition.
- Use a wavy bar if the straight bar is hard on your wrists.
- Avoid going heavy with this exercise if it hurts your elbows.
- See also the barbell skull crusher and the lying barbell triceps extension.
Lying cable skull crusher video