Skip to content
- Target muscle: Brachioradialis
- Synergists: Biceps Brachii, Brachialis
- Important stabilizers: Wrist Extensors
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Pull
- Stand holding a barbell using a shoulder-width pronated (overhand) grip.
- Keeping your elbows by your sides, exhale as you curl the barbell up until your forearms are nearly vertical.
- Inhale as you lower the barbell back to the starting position in a controlled manner.
Comments and tips
- Keep your body still.
- Control the movement. Don’t swing the barbell.
- Using an EZ bar for the barbell reverse curl may be easier on your wrists.
- Unlike what many people think, the barbell reverse curl targets your brachioradialis (a muscle in your forearm), not your biceps brachii or brachialis.
- The barbell reverse curl is an effective exercise for building both the forearm and upper arm.
- See also the dumbbell reverse curl and the weight plate reverse curl.
Barbell reverse curl video