Skip to content
- Target muscles: Hip abductors (listed as synergists)
- Synergists: Gluteus Medius, Gluteus Minimus, Tensor Fasciae Latae
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Pull
- Attach an ankle strap to one ankle and hook it up to a low cable pulley.
- Stand perpendicular to the pulley with your strapped ankle farthest away from the pulley.
- Step away from the pulley so that the cable is pulled taut and your strapped leg is pulled across your unstrapped leg.
- Grasp something for stability and place your free hand on your hip.
- Keeping both legs straight, exhale as you pull your strapped ankle away from the pulley until it is fully abducted.
- Hold for a count of two.
- Inhale as you slowly return your strapped leg to the starting position.
- Repeat for more repetitions.
- Repeat with your opposite ankle.
Comments and tips
- Keep the rest of your body still. Only your hip should move.
- Use the cable hip abduction to activate and build your hip abductors, thus adding shape to your hips and producing more of an hourglass figure.
Cable hip abduction video