Skip to content
- Target muscle: Sternal (Lower) Pectoralis Major
- Synergists: Clavicular (Upper) Pectoralis Major, Anterior Deltoid, Biceps Brachii (short head only)
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Pull
- Place a decline bench between two low cable pulleys.
- Grasp the stirrups (handles) of each pulley, lie supine (on your back) on the decline bench, and hook your feet under the pads.
- Position the stirrups out to each side.
- Flex your elbows slightly, and internally rotate your shoulders so that your elbows point out to the sides.
- Keeping your elbows slightly flexed, exhale as you press the stirrups upward and inward in a hugging motion until they nearly touch over your chest.
- Hold for a count of two and squeeze your chest.
- Inhale as you reverse the motion and return the stirrups towards the starting position until you feel a mild stretch in your chest or shoulders.
Comments and tips
- Keep your elbows slightly flexed.
- Keep the movement slow and under control.
- Internally rotating your shoulders allows for better isolation of your pectoralis major because it brings the origin and insertion of the muscle into better alignment.
- See also the lying cable fly and the standing cable fly.
Decline cable fly video