- Target muscle: Lower Pectoralis Major
- Synergists: Upper Pectoralis Major, Anterior Deltoid, Triceps Brachii
- Dynamic stabilizer: Biceps Brachii (short head only)
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Push
- Get into a push-up position, supporting your body on your hands and knees instead of on your hands and forefeet. Your hands should be a little wider than shoulder width apart.
- Keeping your body straight and your elbows slightly tucked in, inhale as you lower your chest to the floor.
- Exhale as you extend your elbows and push your body back up to the starting position.
Comments and tips
- Keep your elbows slightly tucked in. This will reduce the pressure on your shoulder joints.
- The knee push-up is a brilliant exercise for beginners. Once it becomes easy, graduate to the standard push-up.
- The knee push-up is also known as the half push-up.
- See also the incline push-up.
Knee push-up video