Skip to content
Main muscles activated
- Adjust the machine’s seat and chest pad for optimal comfort and range of motion.
- Sit on the machine.
- Position your chest against the front pad.
- Plant your feet firmly on the floor.
- Grasp the handles. Your arms and shoulders should be stretched forward.
- Keeping your back straight, exhale as you pull one of the handles to the side of your waist.
- Hold for a count of two, stick out your chest, and squeeze your back muscles.
- Inhale as you slowly return the handle to the starting position.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Repeat the exercise with your opposite arm.
Comments and tips
- Pull with your elbow, not with your biceps.
- The machine one-arm row is great for developing unilateral functional upper-body strength.
- To encourage the recruitment of more stabilizer muscles, especially in your core, place your free arm behind your back.
- See also the bent-over dumbbell row.
Machine one-arm row
Machine one-arm row with free arm behind back