- Target muscle: Lateral deltoid
- Synergists: Posterior Deltoid, Supraspinatus, Brachialis, Brachioradialis, Biceps Brachii, Middle and Lower Trapezius, Serratus Anterior, Infraspinatus, Teres Minor
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Pull
Stand holding a pair of dumbbells by your sides, with your palms facing your thighs.
- Exhale as you pull the dumbbells up the sides of your torso towards your armpits, with your elbows pointing out to the sides.
- Hold for a count of two.
- Inhale as you lower the dumbbells to the starting position.
Comments and tips
- Pull with your elbows, not your biceps.
- Keep your back straight and your elbows slightly bent.
- If the dumbbell armpit row is hard on your shoulders, try the dumbbell lateral raise.
- Along with the barbell upright row (which can be dangerous), the dumbbell lateral raise, and the Y raise, the dumbbell armpit row is one of few exercises that targets your lateral deltoid.
- Also known as the dumbbell raise.
- Further strengthen your lateral deltoids with the barbell wide-grip upright row and the cable wide-grip upright row.