Weighted stability ball crunch
- Target muscle: Rectus Abdominis
- Synergists: Internal and External Obliques
- Mechanics: Isolation
- Force: Pull
- Sit on a stability ball with a weight plate in your hands.
- Roll your bottom forward and lie backward so that the ball rolls under your mid-back.
- Raise the weight plate overhead.
- Exhale as you raise your upper torso by flexing your waist.
- Hold for a count of two.
- Inhale as you slowly lower your upper torso by extending your waist.
Comments and tips
- Keep your neck neutral.
- Relax your waist before each crunch. This will ensure that your muscles fully and dynamically contract for each repetition.
- Instead of holding the weight plate overhead, you can place it on your chest and cross your arms over it. You can also hold it behind your head.
- Compared with performing crunches on the floor, performing them on a stability ball allows for an increased range of motion. It’s also safer for your back.
Weighted stability ball crunch video