- Target muscle: Latissimus Dorsi
- Synergists: Brachialis, Brachioradialis, Biceps Brachii, Teres Major, Posterior Deltoid, Infraspinatus, Teres Minor, Rhomboids, Levator Scapulae, Middle and Lower Trapezius, Pectoralis Minor
- Dynamic stabilizer: Triceps Brachii (long head only)
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Pull
- Sit on the lat front pull-down machine and secure your thighs under the supports.
- Grasp the lever handles. Your arms and shoulders should be fully extended upward.
- Exhale as you pull the handles down to your upper chest.
- Hold for a count of two and squeeze your back muscles.
- Inhale as you return the handles to the starting position, with your arms and shoulders fully extended.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
Comments and tips
- Ensure that your thighs are fully secured under the supports to prevent your body from being able to lift off the seat, thus preventing yourself from being able to cheat.
- Pull with your elbows, not with your biceps.
- The machine front pull-down is a brilliant exercise with which you can build your back and arm muscles and develop your upper-body strength.
- See also the pull-up, the double cable neutral-grip lat pull-down, and the wide-grip lat pull-down.
Machine front pull-down video