Skip to content
- Target muscles: The back in general
- Synergists: Latissimus Dorsi, Teres Major, Rhomboids, Middle and Lower Trapezius, Infraspinatus, Teres Minor, Posterior Deltoid, Pectoralis Major, Brachialis, Brachioradialis
- Dynamic stabilizers (not highlighted): Biceps Brachii, Triceps Brachii (Long Head)
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Pull
- Sit on the cable row machine, place your feet on the foot rests, and grasp the stirrup.
- Slide backward until your knees are almost straight.
- Straighten your back so that your arm and shoulder are stretched forward and the cable is pulled taut.
- Keeping your elbow close to your body, exhale as you slowly pull the stirrup to the side of your abdomen and stick out your chest.
- Hold for a count of two and squeeze your back muscles.
- Inhale as you slowly return the stirrup to the starting position.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Repeat the exercise with your opposite arm.
Comments and tips
- You may keep your back straight or allow it to gently sway back and forth in a controlled manner. If you allow it to sway, your erector spinae (spinal erectors) will also act as synergists.
- The seated one-arm cable row is great for developing unilateral upper-body strength.
Seated one-arm cable row video