Skip to content
- Target muscle: The back in general
- Synergists: Middle and Lower Trapezius, Rhomboids, Latissimus Dorsi, Teres Major, Posterior Deltoid, Infraspinatus, Teres Minor, Brachialis, Brachioradialis, Sternal (Lower) Pectoralis Major, Erector Spinae, Obliques, Quadratus Lumborum, Psoas Major, Iliocastalis Lumborum, Iliocastalis Thoracis
- Dynamic stabilizers: Biceps Brachii, Triceps Brachii (long head only)
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Pull
- Attach a stirrup to a cable row machine.
- Sit on the machine, place your feet on the foot rests, and grasp the stirrup with one hand.
- Slide your buttocks backward until your knees are almost straight, your arm and shoulder are stretched forward, and the cable is pulled taut.
- Exhale as you slowly pull the stirrup to the side of your abdomen and then twist your torso.
- Hold for a count of two.
- Inhale as you slowly reverse the motion and return the stirrup to the starting position, with your arm and shoulder stretching forward.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Repeat the exercise with your opposite arm.
Comments and tips
- Keep your elbow close to your body.
- Do not twist your torso beyond feeling a mild stretch in your side.
- Use the seated twisting cable row to develop unilateral upper-body strength.
Seated twisting cable row video