- Target muscle: None; the back in general
- Synergists: Middle and Lower Trapezius, Rhomboids, Latissimus Dorsi, Teres Major, Posterior Deltoid, Infraspinatus, Teres Minor, Brachialis, Brachioradialis, Pectoralis Major
- Dynamic stabilizers: Biceps Brachii, Triceps Brachii (long head only)
- Mechanics: Compound
- Force: Pull
- Sit on the cable machine and grasp the straight bar using a shoulder-width supinated (underhand) grip.
- Slide your buttocks backward and straighten your back. The cable should be pulled taut, and your arms and shoulders should be stretching forward.
- Keeping your elbows close to your body, exhale as you pull the bar to your abdomen.
- Hold for a count of two, stick out your chest, and squeeze your back muscles.
- Inhale as you return the bar to the starting position, with your arms and shoulders stretching forward.
Comments and tips
- Pull with your elbows, not with your biceps.
- Keep your torso upright, your back straight, and your elbows close to your body.
- The only difference between the straight-back underhand cable row and the straight-back cable row is that the straight-back underhand cable row puts a little more emphasis on your biceps brachii.
Straight-back underhand cable row video